Winter can be a difficult season for vehicles. The cold weather, snow, ice, and salt can all take a toll on your car and cause damage if it isn’t properly taken care of. To help keep your vehicle running smoothly and protect it from potential harm, it’s important to take steps to care for it during winter. This article will discuss winter car care tips that you can use to keep your vehicle in top condition throughout the cold weather.
- Check the Battery: Before the cold winter months sets in is the perfect time to do this, but now is also an excellent time to ensure your vehicle’s battery is checked to ensure it is in good condition and has enough cold-cranking amps.
- Change the Oil: It’s important to regularly change the oil in your vehicle. During winter months, use a lighter-weight oil to ensure that it flows easily through the engine and protects it from wear and tear.
- Check the Antifreeze: Make sure to check the antifreeze levels in the radiator and top it off if needed. It’s important to keep your engine from freezing and seizing up during the cold winter months.
- Check the Tires: Make sure to inspect your vehicle’s tires for any signs of wear and tear. It’s also important to check your tire pressure, as cold temperatures can cause the air pressure in your tires to drop. Visit HEART Auto Care Northbrook, and we’ll perform any repairs or replacements needed for your tires.
- Change the Windshield Wipers: Replace your windshield wipers to ensure that your visibility isn’t compromised when snow and ice accumulate on your windshield.
- Inspect the Exhaust System: Make sure to inspect your vehicle’s exhaust system for any leaks or cracks, or contact a trusted auto repair in Northbrook to inspect it for you. It’s important to keep your exhaust system in good condition to prevent any dangerous fumes from entering your vehicle’s cabin.
- Clean the Undercarriage: Make sure to clean the underside of your vehicle to remove any salt, sand, or debris. This will help keep your vehicle’s undercarriage from rusting or corroding.
- Check the Lights: Make sure to check all of your vehicle’s lights and replace any burnt-out bulbs. This will help ensure your visibility while driving in the dark winter months.
- Keep Fuel Levels High: Make sure to keep your fuel tank at least half full during the winter months. This will help prevent any moisture from accumulating in your fuel tank and causing damage.
- Prepare an Emergency Kit: Make sure to have an emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. This should include a flashlight, extra oil, antifreeze, jumper cables, and a blanket.
These tips will help extend the life of your car, no matter what type of vehicle you have. From checking the oil and tires to making sure your windshield wipers are working correctly, these tips can help you get the most out of your vehicle. Additionally, they can help you avoid costly repairs and breakdowns that can occur as a result of not properly caring for your car in the winter. If you need help maintaining the condition of your vehicle, HEART Certified Auto Repair Northbrook can help.
Following these simple vehicle maintenance tips during the winter months will help ensure that your vehicle runs smoothly and safely. Make sure to check your vehicle regularly and address any issues that come up. Taking care of your vehicle during the winter months will help it last for many years to come. For expert car service you can trust, call or visit HEART Northbrook.